Tuesday, November 18, 2008

tangent nine: break-up etiquette.


Yo.
I hope you remembered that today is Tuneage Tuesday. If not, refer to tangent four about what that means. I was on the phone with my friend, Lindsey, the other night and we got into a discussion about the Taylor Swift/Joe Jonas saga. I've already revealed that I'm a sucker for pop culture, but I also understand that many of you have graduated from this stage. Some of you may have never gotten into this stage in the first place. Props to you. I am a weak person and enjoy delving into the personal lives of celebrities. You might call it a character flaw. I prefer to call it a hobby. Anyway, for those of you who aren't up-to-date on the Swift vs. Jonas feud, allow me to recap what's been going on as of late. Taylor Swift, the young, cute chick who sings country music, and Joe Jonas, the young, hot guy who sings pop/rock music, dated and, like most young and famous couples do, broke up. Aesthetically speaking, they were a pretty cute couple; however, it seems as if Taylor needs some lessons from an older, wiser role-model on how to tactfully deal with a break-up. I've decided to be that person for her and so I've written her the following letter, in an attempt to help her salvage some dignity from the split with Joe and also to help her prevent from making the same mistakes in the future: 

Dear Taylor,

Hey girl. I hope all is well in Nashvegas. It's pretty cold here in Atlanta, but I'm okay with that. Cold weather in the ATL means that Christmas is right around the corner, and I love Christmas. This year I'm asking for grey Uggs, various gift certificates, new make-up, tortoise shell Ray-Ban Wayfarers, and new underwear (I lose underwear a lot...not sure how). What's on your list? Probably something having to do with music. That seems practical. Have you been good this year? I don't mean to put words in your mouth, but I'm not sure it would be honest of you to answer that question with a simple "yes". You see, I've been following your recent break-up with Joe, and I've witnessed how you've been acting. As females, we tend to have bad cases of the "overs": we over-exaggerate, we're overemotional, and we have trouble "getting over"...men, especially. You seem to be having a rare, amplified case of the overs right now, and I feel it's my duty to help you through this hard time but also to serve you up with a big giant dose of tough love. It's necessary that you learn the rules about breaking up. It wasn't very nice of Joe to dump you via 27-second cell phone convo. It wasn't nice at all. In the fifth grade, my boyfriend got his best friend to dump me over the phone. As I was bawling my eyes out, I called my friend to tell her all about it. Turns out she was having a sleep-over that night and failed to invite me. She did manage to put me on speaker phone, allowing the rest of the sleep-over guests to hear my entire sob story. I contemplated switching schools after that. My mom said no. Your phone break-up wasn't nearly as traumatic. It was, however, a chance for you to take the higher road, wish Joe well, and make him look like a jackass. You didn't though, did you? You went on Ellen and made yourself look like a lunatic. I felt sorry for you at first because I know what it's like to have my heart broken. My sympathy started fading when Ellen brought it to my attention that you stalk your ex-boyfriends. Who are you taking your cues from? Glenn Close circa 1987? I could have let it slide if you had done this for one guy; however, Ellen clearly states, "You've told me you drive by their houses a lot." The fact that you're driving by more than one house is a grave concern of mine. You've been making some very promising music over the past 2 years, but I'm bothered that your inspiration was formulated as a result of stalking. After that admission, you then go on to say that you cannot stalk Joe because he has enormous security guards. Maybe all of your ex-boyfriends should invest in some of those. Forget the Ellen appearance for now. Let's move onto the doll fiasco. Taylor, Taylor, Taylor. Never say anything that makes you look like a bigger idiot than your ex. Or rather, never film anything that makes you look like a bigger idiot than your ex. I'm sure you thought you were pretty clever by taking the Joe Jonas doll and forbidding the Taylor Swift doll from talking to him. You even note that the Joe doll has a cell phone, so he can break up with other dolls. That's not funny, and it makes you look bitter. I just wish you had dealt with this whole thing differently from the get-go. But alas, you did not, and now you look like a catty 18-year-old who's still stuck on the hot Jonas brother. What you also might not have realized is that declaring war on Joe will be tricky to maneuver. You and Joe croon to the same generic target market: teenage girls. In their eyes, Joe's talented and hot. You're just talented. So I hate to say it, but, in that respect, he wins. Actually, in terms of break-up etiquette, he wins, as well. To conclude, Taylor, I want express my utmost empathy for your current situation, and while I do understand how hard it is to get over someone you genuinely cared for, there are better ways to deal with it. I used to put up song lyrics as my AIM away messages to convey my pain. Dave Matthews always said it a lot better than I ever could. Maybe you should try that. And instead of physically stalking your exes, try dabbling in a little facebook perusal. It's not quite as creepy, and your exes can't file restraining orders on you for looking at their profiles. I hope this has helped your situation. Don't feel bad about the damage that has already taken place. We've all been there. Everybody plays the fool. Just don't play the fool twice. Write back soon.

Love always,

Melissa

P.S.-Perez just informed me of your new album's debut success. Congratulations. I'm mature enough to admit my mistakes, so I apologize for jumping the gun and siding with Joe about the whole target market prediction. I am sticking to my guns about everything else though. You may have one-upped your not-as-successful ex on the charts, but he still dealt with the split a lot more gracefully. So keep up the good work, continue writing killer songs, but mainly, know when to shut up. (Or perhaps find a publicist who knows when to shut you up.)
Okay, I'm spent. I'm going to bed.

Peace. Love. It's not you, it's me.

1 comment:

Aaron and Kelly Rice said...

With all due respect, you are slacking big time on your blog. I would appreciate a new post. Please and thank you.