Friday, April 23, 2010

tangent twenty-seven: trypophobia.

Holler.
So here's the deal. I'm in this screenwriting class at school, and our goal for the entire quarter is to write a one-hour original pilot script. Because of my recent Vegas trip I haven't really had a chance to sit down and research for my pilot idea. You're probably wondering what my idea is. Actually, I'm just assuming you're wondering what it is, and whether or not you're actually wondering I'm going to tell you anyway. The show's working title is "Phobia" and it probably won't change but I enjoy writing "working title" because I feel like a legitimate writer. It's about a community group headed up by a psychiatrist that meets in the basement of a predominately African American Baptist church where they talk about strange phobias. That's all you need to know. (Also, that's about as far as I've gotten with it which is why I'm not divulging any more info.) In order to create my characters I have to research weird phobias. There are a lot of people online talking about this and many sites on which to do so. I guess this whole Internet thing is taking off. Throughout my research I have found out that people are afraid of everything. From frogs to buttons to cling wrap. Literally everything. I found these people a little ridiculous until I read one thread that caught my eye. This one woman had posted something about being afraid of clusters of really small things, like holes, or ants, or spots. More people had commented on her post and had noted the same feelings of discomfort. As I was reading all of the threads about this particular phobia I realized that I was reading about myself. I become really really uncomfortable around clusters of small things. Things like lotus seed pods, fern spores, lobster eggs, chicken pox, bad cases of acne (and backne), a dead leaf skeleton, etc...If I see these things a chill is sent throughout my entire body, goosebumps appear, and I start scratching. The hair on my arms stands straight up, and I tilt my head to the side because my neck feels funny. All of this is very true. I honestly thought I was partially insane until a few days ago. Turns out I have trypophobia (also known as "cluster phobia"). If you google that word and look at the images it brings up you will understand what freaks me out so much. You may not understand, but you'll get a visual of the types of things that make me feel itchy and weird all over. When I googled the word it took me a couple of hours to get the images I saw out of my brain. Even thinking about them I have goosebumps right this very moment. If and when you google it you might discover you have trypophobia too. And then maybe we can join a support group and become besties and frolic in meadows that lack clusters of small things. Maybe. I'm not sure if you fix a thing like this or just live with it. It's not like I bawl my eyes out or scream when I see fern spores. It just feels like things are crawling on me. I don't really come into contact with fern spores that often, and I suppose whenever I have kids my husband will be on chicken pox duty. When they go through puberty and acne starts to invade I'm hoping that God will cut both my kids and me a break and not give them bad cases. I can deal with sporadic zits. I guess that's it for today. There are no pictures for obvious reasons. But google the word, and you'll see what I'm talking about. I don't think it's nearly as weird as being afraid of buttons. That guys has issues. Not me. Okay, until next time.

Peace. Love. Holey shit.

No comments: